Prisons Week is an annual event to inspire and empower individuals and churches, to pray for the needs of all those affected by prisons: prisoners and their families, victims of crime and their communities, those working in the criminal justice system and the many people who are involved in caring for those affected by crime on the inside and outside of our prisons.
In 2019, it takes place from Sunday 13th October to Saturday 19th October. This year’s theme is: What does freedom mean to you?
Each day of the week, a new prayer brings into focus a different group affected by prison or criminal justice. Churches and individuals are also asked to reflect on what they might do or offer as part of their response.
The following resources are available from Prisons Week or from us!
- Prisons Week film – available to watch on Vimeo. Use it as part of your church service or event, or share on social media during the week.
- Prisons Week leaflets – available to download or order hard copies from the Prisons Week website. They contain the prayer for each day of the week, and information on the organisations behind it.
- Prisons Week PowerPoint – for you to use and adapt for your church service or event, it introduces the theme of Prisons Week and shares about the work that Prison Fellowship is doing to support men and women in prison, and how you can be involved.
- Prisons Week Facebook banner – Update your personal or church Facebook banner to raise awareness about this week of prayer. Tag Prison Fellowship in your post so that your friends can find out more about our work!
Other ways you can be involved:
- Share our posts on social media during Prisons Week! Every like, comment and share on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter enables our posts to be seen by even more people, allowing us to support more men and women in prison.
- Invite a Prison Fellowship speaker to come to you church service or event. We have staff and volunteers across England and Wales who would love to come and share stories from our work in prison, how we have seen lives transformed, and how you can be involved. Contact us to request a speaker.
- Request our Hope Pack for your church. Invite the voices of men and women in prison into your church through our Hope cards. Our specially created church pack contains resources to educate you on prison ministry, and invite your congregation to engage and respond. Find out more here.